[TP] Stargate v0.7.9.10 - The Bukkit port. A portal plugin

Stargate Support and Discussion
MinecraftAdmin

Re: [TP] Stargate v0.7.9.10 - The Bukkit port. A portal plug

Postby MinecraftAdmin » April 20th, 2014, 10:29 am

Have you thought about UUID's and converting the Stargate database to use UUID's instead of player names?

MinecraftAdmin

Postby MinecraftAdmin » April 20th, 2014, 10:30 am

Have you thought about UUID's and converting the stargate database to using UUID's instead of usernames?

Drakia
Site Admin

Postby Drakia » May 3rd, 2014, 10:27 am

Stargate is no longer under active development by me. This was announced almost a year ago here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=455

MinecraftAdmin

Postby MinecraftAdmin » May 3rd, 2014, 6:00 pm

Why maintain an open forum for discussion of this plugin if you've abandoned your project?
Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of other alternatives now, but it seems like a waste of good code if it becomes irrelevant from here on.

Drakia
Site Admin

Postby Drakia » May 3rd, 2014, 6:14 pm

MinecraftAdmin wrote:Why maintain an open forum for discussion of this plugin if you've abandoned your project?
Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of other alternatives now, but it seems like a waste of good code if it becomes irrelevant from here on.

Why bother closing down a forum where a lot of questions have been previously answered? Especially considering the plugins worked until the recent massive overhaul in how Minecraft handles users.

I stopped playing Minecraft years ago, and maintained my plugins for a long time after I stopped actively using them. The code is open source, anyone is welcome to use it (So long as the appropriate copyrights are kept in place, and licenses followed), so it's not a waste of code.

Kane

Postby Kane » July 27th, 2014, 1:54 pm

Hello, I hit a problem today that I'm hoping can be resolved. I wanted to enable the End Portal and I found out that its counted as a Nether Portal. Is there any chance of allowing us to use End Portals or a way to make a one way Portal to the end without having a portal in the End? We have a script that wipes the End weekly. Rather not have to deal with any kind of portal on the End side besides once you beat it and coming back.

dowen01

Postby dowen01 » August 31st, 2014, 5:01 am

I have used this plugin for years and love it, none of the ones like it any even half as good as this one

I use this for Stargates (goes with out saying) but custom shape ones I have also made a working Tardis with this "so cool"

Check out the photos on this Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/lgspace?ref=hl

I understand Drakia wish to step back from this plugin, but please people lets not let this die

As Drakia points out the plugin has been sound for years I don't remember when version 0.7.9.10 came out but its been some time now

This plugin has been the most stable and reliable plugin I have ever used

I unfortunately know nothing about Java, if I did I would maintain this for him happily

Please someone step up and continue this one, if my server loses this it will lose a big piece of what makes it unique

Drakia I thank you for keeping this forum open. some dev's take every reference to the plugin down and leave everyone in the dark, happen recently with "ender chest plus"

Any one willing to save this plugin from the "I remember that one..." please post here and let keep this going

Drakia
Thank you for this plugin, thank you for keeping this going for as long as you have (even after that who ha with the Bukkit forum. after i found out what had happened I PMed EvilSeph and vented my disgust over how it was all handled)
I understand your wish to stand back from the plugin, but please help us find people to keep it alive
I also take my hat off to your stable code how the hell you got this plugin working so well over so many Minecraft versions will be a mystery to me forever
This plugin is perfect just the way it is we just want to keep it working

PseudoKnight

Postby PseudoKnight » September 3rd, 2014, 12:15 am

I'm sure you've found your solution already, but that's outside the scope of Stargate. This is a gate-to-gate plugin. Multiverse-NetherPortals can handle End portals for you. Or if you wish to make completely custom one-way portals, Multiverse-Portals can do that. (it's far less efficient than Stargate is, last I tried it, but maybe it's better now) I'm sure there's other plugins that do that as well, but it's been a while since I've looked for those. If you want something that's more efficient, find a plugin that uses something like portal, click, or pressure plate events instead of player movement.

For those wondering, Stargate still works great with 1.7.10. However, when Mojang turns on name-changing, you may want to encourage users to break their Stargates before changing their name, then remake them. (there's also a command for moderators to change stargate owners in the StargateCommand plugin) Otherwise, it should continue working as expected.

Personally, I may use CommandHelper scripting to keep track of name changes and automatically update SG accordingly (as well as other plugins that don't/can't use UUIDs). It'd be a small convenience to my players.

PseudoKnight

Postby PseudoKnight » September 9th, 2014, 11:01 am

Of course, right after I made my post, Bukkit got DMCA'd, which jammed up any further development for the time being. More importantly, this got a large portion of the community to finally get working to replace Bukkit with something better -- Sponge. Now, this got me curious... would Drakia at all be interested in porting his plugin to a new API that's handled responsibly? If not, I'm sure someone might be interested in volunteering. We're still several weeks away from Sponge being ready.

This plugin has been the most stable and reliable plugin I have ever used
It's definitely one of the most stable that I've used among plugins of similar or greater complexity. I still don't understand how it's so efficient.

Drakia
Site Admin

Postby Drakia » September 9th, 2014, 11:08 am

I saw the news about Bukkit and the new project (There's a post about it in the Bukkit Discussion forum on here).

I may at some point take a stab at moving my plugin over, atleast as a base for someone else to take ownership of maintaining it, but it wouldn't be a situation where I'm around for development and support past a port.

As for Stargate being stable, I'm actually kinda surprised myself. I pride myself on writing stable code, but for it to have gone over a year (A year and a half now, I believe) with zero updates and still function, is quite amazing. I've seen many other simpler plugins succumb to the Bukkit changes over the years, I guess I got lucky in that I didn't utilize anything they've changed for critical systems within Stargate.

andrewkm

Postby andrewkm » December 15th, 2014, 3:12 am

Can confirm still working wonderfully on Spigot 1.8 as of latest compiled spigot on December 15th 2014 0512EST
Thank you for your amazingly stable code sir! :D

Previous

Return to Stargate