[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
TheDgtl • View topic - Why I do not offer support for PEX

Why I do not offer support for PEX

Stargate Support and Discussion
Drakia
Site Admin

Why I do not offer support for PEX

Postby Drakia » March 8th, 2012, 10:03 pm

So, as some users who run PEX know, Stargate will throw a warning on startup stating that I will not personally offer support for PEX, and that you should switch to a real permission handler. There are multiple reasons for this, and I figure I will list them below:
1) Up until 15 days ago, permissions were loaded all-lower-case, but checked case-sensitively. This meant that when your Permissions file had "stargate.network.Central" users would be denied access to the network "Central". (This essentially made Stargate unusable with PEX without using the bridge, hence the warning on startup)
2) PEX injects itself into Player objects, overwriting the "hasPermission" and various other functions. This means that there is no guarantee PEX will respond properly and in-line with other PermHandlers when checking permissions (As seen with the case-sensitive issue that was only resolved 2 week ago). This can be seen here:
https://github.com/PEXPlugins/Permissio ... x.java#L95
https://github.com/PEXPlugins/Permissio ... .java#L112
https://github.com/PEXPlugins/Permissio ... X.java#L62
There is no need for a PermHandler to do this, the entire point of SuperPerms was to AVOID plugins doing this, and to make sure everything works in the same way.
3) The developers of PEX have never been very cooperative when it comes to issues with other plugins. I created this ticket a month ago: https://github.com/PEXPlugins/PermissionsEx/issues/249
There was no followup, and it was still another two weeks before the issue was actually resolved.
4) When the developer blames MY plugin for "glitches" in their code, it makes me even less likely to support their plugin in the future. This is how they responded to my message warning users that PEX was a broken PermHandler:
https://github.com/TheDgtl/Stargate-Buk ... nt-1057679
https://github.com/PEXPlugins/Permissio ... ng-and-FAQ
They are now lying about my plugin in their FAQ (My plugin is updated more often than PEX itself is, so how they can consider my plugin not "up-to-date" is beyond me).
They will probably claim I spoke poorly of their plugin first or some such, but truth is, everything I said about their plugin is true (It is a terribly coded hack-job that was designed to mimic Permissions 2.x), while everything they are saying about Stargate in their FAQ is made up by them (And shows they don't understand basic plugin detection code).

Inscrutable

Re: Why I do not offer support for PEX

Postby Inscrutable » March 9th, 2012, 1:05 am

Gotta agree. I never got any response from the dev when I posted about issues with multiworld.
I ended up getting some clues from other users, and figured it out by a weekend of trial-and-error.

PEx also broke Stargate, Lockette, and Movecraft on various occasions. The only thing it really has
worth having is it's dependent plugin Modifyworld. That is pretty sweet... it is the most versatile
and fine-grained antibuild setup I have used so far... but again, it doesn't work as expected in
MC 1.23 (CB2040), with the same permission set as before (PEx 1.18 => 1.19).
Maybe magic will happen when a RB arrives, but I won't be holding my breath.

bpermissions and probably all other perm plugins manage the rest as well or better than PEx.
So a question to other admins: What alternatives are there to Modifyworld?
Regulation Brass Ones, Guv'nor

Darkone003

Postby Darkone003 » March 9th, 2012, 1:17 am

So pex is blaming other plugins as to why pex doesn't work correctly with half of the plugins I use, sounds legit. Grade A development there, I'd hire em.

The only thing worth a damn about pex is ModifyWorld and it's about buggy and broken as anything else so why even bother. Thanks for the post though Drakia. :\
I haven't played BF3 in a couple months why did I still have my stats down here? Maybe I need Skyrim stats!! :D

Drakia
Site Admin

Postby Drakia » March 9th, 2012, 8:02 am

I needed to vent, their FAQ entry pissed me off, especially considering the current RELEASE build of PEX doesn't even have the case-sensitive issue fixed :/

Drakia
Site Admin

Postby Drakia » March 9th, 2012, 8:29 am

Well, I tried asking them to remove it, but they wouldn't. Luckily their FAQ is a wiki, I just removed it myself :)

Darkone003

Postby Darkone003 » March 9th, 2012, 11:41 am

Well honestly I don't think many people use pex anymore, they're probably just looking for something to blame their failures on, I wouldn't worry about it.
I haven't played BF3 in a couple months why did I still have my stats down here? Maybe I need Skyrim stats!! :D

ZeroPoke

Postby ZeroPoke » March 9th, 2012, 2:31 pm

I stand by my say ALL you plugins should give a rude messages about PEX!

Drakia
Site Admin

Postby Drakia » March 9th, 2012, 6:55 pm

I have removed that warning on startup, as it seems PEX finally returns accurate results using the hasPermission and isPermissionSet functions (It only took them what, 10 months?).

Return to Stargate