More cloak-and-dagger at Bukkit

Discuss anything Bukkit related
Inscrutable

More cloak-and-dagger at Bukkit

Postby Inscrutable » June 4th, 2012, 5:42 pm

Interesting discussion going on about the infamous duping exploit from CB RB2.0 (I think :D)
Apparently it's too hush-hush to share with the public, and that conveniently fits with their
plans to shut out CB++ (except when it suits their purposes, like porting features...).

The relevant Bukkit Staff policy, in a nutshell, is:
"we will mark tickets private if there is even a hint that it may be damaging to the community as a whole" - TnT

It begs the question: Is it reasonable to suppress stuff in a public project (Bukkit) like this?
I don't see see it happening on Spout JIRA (yet)...
(But as md_5 said, it's probably still visible in the commit history,so anyone who knows what
they're looking for could still work it out I suppose).

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/access-to-bug-reports.79082/#post-1149778
Regulation Brass Ones, Guv'nor

Drakia
Site Admin

Re: More cloak-and-dagger at Bukkit

Postby Drakia » June 5th, 2012, 7:31 am

Interesting, I can sort of see where they are coming from (Exploits being public before a fix is bad) but refusing to mark it as public after a fix is pushed? That seems kinda dumb...

Inscrutable

Postby Inscrutable » June 7th, 2012, 7:07 am

I get it now. The fix didn't work, apparently. Sweet Jiminy Cricket...
Regulation Brass Ones, Guv'nor

lukegb

Postby lukegb » June 9th, 2012, 10:54 am

I'd like to point out that we make the tickets semi-public under dl.bukkit.org when the ticket is mentioned in a commit, so the ticket description will become available at the same time as the fix.

Yes, it is reasonable to suppress information for some time. I point to the cases of Mozilla, and Chrome, as well as most other open source projects, who both undertake this for security-sensitive tickets.
Mozilla's policy states this:
"As noted above, information about security bugs can be held confidential for some period of time; there is no pre-determined limit on how long that time period might be. However this is offset by the fact that the person reporting a bug has visibility into the activities (if any) being taken to address the bug, and has the power to open the bug report for public scrutiny."

Drakia
Site Admin

Postby Drakia » June 9th, 2012, 7:54 pm

lukegb wrote:I'd like to point out that we make the tickets semi-public under dl.bukkit.org when the ticket is mentioned in a commit, so the ticket description will become available at the same time as the fix.

Yes, it is reasonable to suppress information for some time. I point to the cases of Mozilla, and Chrome, as well as most other open source projects, who both undertake this for security-sensitive tickets.
Mozilla's policy states this:
"As noted above, information about security bugs can be held confidential for some period of time; there is no pre-determined limit on how long that time period might be. However this is offset by the fact that the person reporting a bug has visibility into the activities (if any) being taken to address the bug, and has the power to open the bug report for public scrutiny."

As I said, it makes sense to mark it private until a fix is pushed (Or an RB with a fix, in the case of Bukkit).

Return to Discussion