Bukkit can get Forked?

Discuss anything Bukkit related
Inscrutable

Bukkit can get Forked?

Postby Inscrutable » November 11th, 2011, 10:20 am

I figured I'd start this thread before someone else did the same. :D

Apparently there is some discontent within the Bukkit Community. Bergerkiller (NoLagg dev) put some of it into the open,
in his posts on this page (and follow the link to the github pull request, if you neeed to be further depressed).

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/fix-admn-nolagg-v1-44-prevent-common-lag-causes-on-your-server-1337.36986/page-32

It looks like at least some devs are thinking it would be worthwhile to fork the Bukkit project (for varying reasons)
It would take some major effort to accomplish anything in parallel to the Bukkit team.
I have no idea if anyone here has the will, skill, hardware and motivation to contemplate it.
I have to admit, I wouldn't at all mind Bukkit with built-in Spout and NoLagg. Optimisation all the way.

So, does anyone have any opinions/ideas/contributions to this? Can it happen? How? :twisted:
Regulation Brass Ones, Guv'nor

Drakia
Site Admin

Re: Bukkit can get Forked?

Postby Drakia » November 11th, 2011, 11:51 am

It's possible to fork it, but would take a LOT of work.
The Bukkit team is very closed-source for an OS project, they have many tools they use behind the scenes when a new Minecraft release comes out that nobody else has access to (Mainly to do with deobfuscation). When a new Minecraft version comes out, the "mc-dev" repo (Which is the de-obfuscated Minecraft code) is taken down, and not put back up in updates form for days or weeks, this repo is required to compile CraftBukkit.
Were somebody to get in touch with Mojang and acquire the Minecraft server source, they could add the Bukkit hooks and tweaks to it, but then you'd run into licensing issues as Bukkit is GPL/LGPL, and I doubt Mojang would allow releasing of the server source under the GPL/LGPL. If somebody managed to do this though, then they could have new builds out even faster than the Bukkit team.

Inscrutable

Postby Inscrutable » December 16th, 2011, 6:55 pm

OMFG.

It is happening, NOW. The Glowstone project is SpoutDev's new replacement.
Not forked so much as rebuilt. Disillusioned with Bukkit development, they have gone it alone.
I am very glad I donated to those folks. This is looking very interesting indeed...

Is this new vessel shaping up to your liking, Drakia?

Drakia
Site Admin

Postby Drakia » December 16th, 2011, 7:22 pm

I think Bukkit just got shafted by one of its biggest plugin developers. As someone mentioned on the Bukkit forums when they noticed Stargate had been purged:
"Bascially I want to ask if anyone else has been noticing that a lot of the "bigger" or "more popular" plugins have been going inactive." ... "However I have also been noticing that a lot of them are not being replaced."

As I said, Bukkit is losing, it's going down the drain, it won't be long until people have moved on to a better server implementation, hopefully run by more competent people. I'll be keeping my eye on Spout: https://github.com/SpoutDev/Spout

Mr. Man

Postby Mr. Man » December 17th, 2011, 10:48 am

Inscrutable wrote:OMFG.

It is happening, NOW. The Glowstone project is SpoutDev's new replacement.
Not forked so much as rebuilt. Disillusioned with Bukkit development, they have gone it alone.
I am very glad I donated to those folks. This is looking very interesting indeed...

Is this new vessel shaping up to your liking, Drakia?

Look @ that, as a firm becomes larger, it inevitably becomes more bureaucratic! My prophecies have come true after all!

This is why I keep my PSA crew small. Lean and efficient, also quick to adapt.

Drakia
Site Admin

Postby Drakia » December 17th, 2011, 12:43 pm

Also, ironically, BukkitContrib all started because of my Inventory Event pull requests being denied ;)

Darkone003

Postby Darkone003 » December 18th, 2011, 12:33 am

Oh my this is an interesting turn of events. So what exactly is happening, Spout is merging with Glowstone?

Edit: Never mind I found the thread on Spouts forum. :)
I haven't played BF3 in a couple months why did I still have my stats down here? Maybe I need Skyrim stats!! :D

Inscrutable

Postby Inscrutable » December 18th, 2011, 1:46 am

When it becomes clear just what *is* happening, someone let me know. 8)
I'd be delighted to fire up a test server to trial and beta-test the new (server API bundle/whoosamajig)
whatever it's called. Glowstone, Spout, Beatstheshitouttabukkit, ...
I think it's still all up in the air a bit. Watch that space...

ZeroPoke

Postby ZeroPoke » December 18th, 2011, 2:37 am

Drakia alrdy put up a test server. The island that generated was pretty cool

Drakia
Site Admin

Postby Drakia » December 18th, 2011, 2:49 am

They've already started, Spout is now a fork of Glowstone, Spout for Bukkit has been renamed (Though I'm not positive to what, I thought it was SpoutAPI, but it would seem not) and "discontinued", and now they're working on "SpoutAPI" which will be both a client and server API for mods, so that hopefully server-side mods will also work for SSP (Mods such as Stargate, which would be pretty useful for SSP). Atleast that's what I got from it...

cyberdude

Postby cyberdude » December 20th, 2011, 7:50 pm

To clear up some things:
While technically Spout is now a fork of Glowstone, I would rather say that Glowstone is becoming Spout (The developer behind Glowstone, who originally forked it, is still continuing the development under the new name, the others just joined in)

Things might change a bit, but this is the Spout World is currently looking:

• Spout will be the Open Source Server software (Minecraft server build from scratch, with Threading)
  • SpoutAPI will be the api for client and server mods (Called Addons and Plugins, respectively).
  • Addons are supposed to work Single Player (Though this might be programmable depending on the addon, and addon that handles something with chat, players, playerlists etc, probably has no reason to work in single player)
  • There will be a plugin that allows it to run Bukkit Plugins.
  • The current Spout has been renamed to SpoutPlugin, and is currently not under development any more, so unfortunately no custom mobs,items and blocks (besides the limited use of blocks currently supported), until Spout (former Glowstone) is finished.
  • It's going steadily forward, but it'll take some time.
  • They feature Spout Meetings (only Spout developers participate, but anyone can watch on IRC)
  • The spout team is very open in their thought process and discussions. They are very active on their forums discussing their plans back and forth.

I hope this clears up some things. If I'm mistaking something, please correct me ;)

And then a big hurray for the Spout Team :D

Inscrutable

Postby Inscrutable » December 21st, 2011, 2:25 am

Thanks cyberdude! I have been avidly reading getspout.org to see for myself.

The new Spout server works, but has many things absent (such as physics...) and generates a weird-ass rainy island.
Not bad work for such a short time, and the to-do list is out in the open. I wish i knew enough to help...

There's a new feature called Commons that works for Clients in SP and also MP (presumably an addon-plugin pair).
That, I like the sound of very much...

So, anyone interested in porting SP mods into Spout Commons? :roll:
[I have a maddening fixation with ones that start with "More". More Ores, More Trees, Mo' Creatures...]
[Underground, Overground, Wombling Free... The lurkers and trolls of Spout Commons are we :D]

Return to Discussion