The September that Never Endered

Discuss anything Bukkit related
Inscrutable

The September that Never Endered

Postby Inscrutable » November 18th, 2011, 9:22 pm

Greetings All.

In my position as official old-fart here, I would like to recount a tale of my youth. Been meaning to for a while.
:ugeek: (Lights crack pipe as all the younguns slither off to hide).

Once there was a thing called Usenet. It had (and still has) text-based newsgroups relayed globally.
It was a relatively polite affair mostly, with trolls and spammers usually readily identified and banned.
Each year an influx of noobs arrived in September, coinciding with college intakes.
The relatively small numbers meant they were generally assimilated, and learned proper netiquette
in a few months and all was quiet again.

Then, September 1993 arrived. AOL freedisks circulated. And the influx of noobs just kept coming,
and coming, and growing... It was called the September that Never Ended.
Many newsgroups died. Some became moderated. Many of those that remained were infested with spam,
or trolls, or both. The whole approach of moderation changed, and the usefulness of the newsgroups
(and indeed, most open chat forums) dropped to almost nil. Private fora began to appear, and blogs, and ...

OK, with me so far? Why is this relevant? Impertinent whipperspanner, I'll tell ye...

History repeats itself. It is happening to Bukkit forums NOW, and started earlier on Minecraft Forums.
It began around February or march, and Minecraft went from a quaint but buggy indie game
to the darling of the gaming media. It's rocketship to superstardom dragged 100,000 trolls
along for the ride in its wake.
When I got Minecraft in August 2010 (iirc), there were maybe 100,000 users.
There are now more than FOUR MILLION, and a whole lot more who haven't bothered paying.
Thats one hell of a step for a man, and one giant chasm for moderators to fill.

There, I hope that edifies one or more of you. Benefits of senility and all that :P

[Footnote: This sociological analysis probably needs a better look at the underlying demographic.]
Regulation Brass Ones, Guv'nor

MsInscrutable

Re: The September that Never Endered

Postby MsInscrutable » November 30th, 2011, 3:52 pm

Giggles in a sinister manner and holds up an iPad.
Don't forget all those iPad Mums lurching uncertainly around teh internetz looking for facebork and funny pictures of cats...

Inscrutable

Postby Inscrutable » February 29th, 2012, 8:18 am

100th Post. Might as well bump this, as it will happen to Spout too.
They had better prepare for the Avalanche! ;)
Regulation Brass Ones, Guv'nor

Jeyge

Postby Jeyge » February 29th, 2012, 9:32 am

I heard a rumor that this was the place to make your 100th post so here I am. :)

Happy 100th Inscutable.

Drakia
Site Admin

Postby Drakia » February 29th, 2012, 11:16 am

:( I'm at 251, I can't join in

Jeyge

Postby Jeyge » February 29th, 2012, 4:34 pm

Drakia wrote::( I'm at 251, I can't join in

If you give me a general permissions forum to answer questions in I can catch up to you in 27.5 hours and we can commiserate. :)

Just kidding btw. If spout does something with permissions, perhaps I will start answering questions over there.

Return to Discussion