Site Admin

DevBukkit Wait Times

Postby Drakia » February 17th, 2012, 12:54 am

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/my-cri ... urs.60361/

Remember guys, the "file approval" is for your protection :roll:

ZeroPoke

Re: DevBukkit Wait Times

Postby ZeroPoke » February 19th, 2012, 1:13 pm

Yes it Critical that your server has problems before you can patch duh!

Jeyge

Postby Jeyge » February 23rd, 2012, 4:16 pm

And now it looks like you just need to know someone although this is on the forums that are going away. Or at least have been going away for some 5 months now as they transition to the new BukkitDev.

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/why-dont-mods.61638/

And damn, 3 months later and they already have close to 0 mods watching threads again.

Drakia
Site Admin

Postby Drakia » February 23rd, 2012, 9:30 pm

Wait, it's against the rules to tag a moderator? But I see people do that ALL THE FUCKING TIME, even for BukkitDev submissions that take more than 5 hours to get approved. It's not people trying to get "priority", it's people trying to get the mods to do their fucking job and approve things. One thing that's always pissed me off about the Bukkit forums is that their moderators are very flaky, you get ones like md_5 who approve specific plugins, and yet ignore valid submissions just because they don't know the user, that's fucked up.

Jeyge

Postby Jeyge » February 23rd, 2012, 9:46 pm

Drakia wrote:Wait, it's against the rules to tag a moderator? But I see people do that ALL THE FUCKING TIME, even for BukkitDev submissions that take more than 5 hours to get approved. It's not people trying to get "priority", it's people trying to get the mods to do their fucking job and approve things. One thing that's always pissed me off about the Bukkit forums is that their moderators are very flaky, you get ones like md_5 who approve specific plugins, and yet ignore valid submissions just because they don't know the user, that's fucked up.

The one thing these people seem to like to avoid is that it really is a job you sign up for when you become a staff member of a board like that or you make a plugin. It is easy to use any one of the excuses that you don't have enough time for it or you already have a full time job or even that you are providing a service to the community and isn't that enough but when it comes down to it, you really do have a responsibility. They hide behind the fact that they don't have enough time. 2 links then for you:
http://forums.bukkit.org/find-new/threads - Shows you all threads with new posts in them.
http://forums.bukkit.org/recent-activity/ - Shows you just the new posts.
When I first started watching the forums, I would use the second link to watch all posts to see if I could answer any of them. I then moved on to the first link and I would watch that. It really shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to browse all of the new posts and see where your help is needed. If you had a few people doing that during the day, you wouldn't have to worry about anything. And hell, with these smartphones everyone has now, you can do it while you are taking your daily toilet break. :)

Jeyge

Postby Jeyge » February 24th, 2012, 2:00 am

And holy plugin release spam. Someone needs to give md_5 an infraction for spamming. But in this case it would be a good infraction for taking care of all of the stagnant plugins that have been waiting in the submissions forum.

Inscrutable

Postby Inscrutable » February 24th, 2012, 2:12 am

Don Redhorse just gave him an award, what more d'ya want?

Yay md_5. Aussies aren't afraid of hard work XD
Regulation Brass Ones, Guv'nor

Jeyge

Postby Jeyge » February 24th, 2012, 3:22 am

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/why-dont-mods.61638/#post-981453
Looks like we might see Don over here soon. :)
And just in case the post gets a little ninja edit:
Please stop harassing my staff, this is something I will never stand for.

All I have to say is this, for someone who thinks he seems to know better than my team at how much work it is to handle the Bukkit community, you had your brief time as a BukkitDev staff member and did absolutely nothing.
Just to put your continued insistence that we're just sitting on our asses all day doing nothing in perspective.

You said you didn't have any time to help us out, but look at how much free time you seem to have to continue to post long, nonsensical posts and spam and harass my staff with notifications and alerts. mbaxter sticks around because he loves this community, despite all the crap he sometimes gets from everyone. His responsibilities go far beyond just handling submissions, something even you couldn't handle, and he does them all. He is one of my best and most active staff and pushing his buttons and harassing him with @ notifications ends now.

This is your warning. Continue to harass my staff and I will have to get involved.

We appreciate constructive feedback and suggestions, but all your posts seem to drip with contempt, superiority or sometimes sarcasm. It's hard to see past them being anything but a plea for attention. If you want change within the community, spitting on my staff that pour in a lot of thankless, hard hours for nothing in return is by far the worst way to go about getting it.

-------

For everyone else, we've had a bit of a backlog with submissions both on the forums and on BukkitDev and will be adding more staff soon to handle the increase in activity. Sorry for any inconvenience caused and thanks for your patience and understanding.

As for what was said in the post, is it really harassment if your plugin has been waiting for over a month and a half and you keep seeing other newer plugins get approved. And what if the staff is harassing other users? That's right, you get a promotion for that.

The first part of the second paragraph sure describes me since I keep posting stuff as if I know anything about running a large forum. But then again, I do know something about running a large forum. But the second part of that paragraph is really more important. The consistent attacks on the users is really a great way to build the type of fellowship they need over there. And the misunderstanding that not approving plugins or not moderating posts means that they are sitting on their asses all day is just plain wrong. It only means that they are not approving plugins or not moderating posts. Don't read too much into what is said. Everyone knows that everyone has lives, okay, I don't but that is a different story. They are only asking for that which was promised over and over again.

And what if a mod/admin is getting harassed? Isn't that part of what they have to deal with. Same as the reports come in because someone picked up a virus from an adfly link, someone has a problem on the boards and they send a message to the mods/admins. It hopefully doesn't happen often though. I know in my 3,000+ posts, I was only harassed twice. Did I handle it the way I should have? Nope, I am human after all. How about that mod? How did he handle it? He has taken on a position of authority and as such, he should be prepared for that type of thing.

And damn, that last paragraph before the dashes perfectly describes my posts here. Between every line dripping with contempt, superiority and/or sarcasm is just a small bit of a suggestion.

One of these days I might just stumble on a life and not be able to read those boards so much. Or maybe the Spout/Craftbukkit++ boards will be more fun and I will leave the Bukkit guys alone for a while but I seriously doubt it since Afforess seems like the type who wouldn't allow it to come to that.

Return to Discussion